Talent Tidal Wave Totals Team: Joyous Chaos Welcomes New Members Reviewed by Momizat on . Still new to the school, still new to the whole college thing, there was a lot of pressure on my first All College Hike experience.  After 4 miles filled with s Still new to the school, still new to the whole college thing, there was a lot of pressure on my first All College Hike experience.  After 4 miles filled with s Rating:
You Are Here: Home » Feature » Talent Tidal Wave Totals Team: Joyous Chaos Welcomes New Members

Talent Tidal Wave Totals Team: Joyous Chaos Welcomes New Members

Still new to the school, still new to the whole college thing, there was a lot of pressure on my first All College Hike experience.  After 4 miles filled with short spurts of jogging and flirting I inhaled deeply the opportunities before me at the Durley dinning commons.  My fingers groped over candy-covered tables, my eyes wondered from tri-fold cardboard to the beaconing smiles behind them.

Filming and media by Jenny Cayo

The organization for me would have so much more than Dots and Laffy Taffy; it would bring joy and…chaos to my college career.   I don’t remember exactly what caught my attention. Maybe it was the unnatural amount of laughter and obnoxiousness at one booth grabbing me like a gravitational pull.

Photography by Jenny Cayo

Since freshman year, I have claimed joyous chaos as my club, through thick and thin, the rough and the tough.   I would be lying if I said I loved every minute of it, every Sunday night practice and every finger wagging about pooh-pooh, blue humor.  But the chance to build stories on stage and learn from the folks of joyous chaos has been well worth our Sabbath breaking.

This year our crew has lost a hunk of those who have been with the team since it’s conception, a pretty scary experience.   What was surprisingly even scarier was the tidal wave of talent that left us breathless, bruised and soaked in salt water after auditions.   After scavenging the wreckage, my teammates and I harassed and heckled our four new members until they agreed to join the team.   They’re all super unique and super funny, it is certainly an understatement to say we’re super pumped to work with them.

Photography by Jenny Cayo

Meet the Newbs:

Name: Will Florian
Year: Sophomore
Major: Undecided
Strengths: Adaptability, Woo, Strategic, Positivity

P:   So, why did you audition for the team?
W:  Because I loved watching shows in the past and I would love to make people laugh like I did at the show.

P:  What were auditions like?
W:  They were very nerve racking, but a lot of fun to be with everyone and see all the talent.

P:  Is the team different than you thought they’d be? Are practices different than you thought they’d be?
W:  Yes everything is different. The team and practices are ten times more awesome then I thought it would be.

P:  What do you think you bring to the team?
W:  A good acting talent with good facial expressions and a personality that will entertain the crowd and the team. I believe that I will be someone that will be easy for the team to play with during the games.

P:  What other activities do you do around campus, and how do you think being on Joyous Chaos will be different than being part of these groups?
W:  I’m normally in intramurals but I am injured this year so next year I will be participating in that. I plan on not getting as sweaty during this, and I feel it will be more enjoyable team-wise, because the improv team is not competing but just working together.

P:  What stock jokes and characters are you prepared to bring to LaDue this fall?
W:  I believe that I can bring an overly emotional and slightly dumb type of character to add some stupid comedy to games. I know a decent amount of jokes on people around campus. I can also do a very of jokes on certain pop cultural movies and news.

Photography by Jenny Cayo

Name: Rachel Walton

Year: 2016

Major: International and Cross Cultural
Strengths: Developer, Adaptability, Connectedness, Restorative, Empathy

P: So, why did you audition for the team?
R:   One of my favorite things to do is make my friends laugh with random and spontaneous combustion of funness.  Before NSO I had no idea that there was even an Improv team, but once I found out, that was all I could think of.

P:  What were auditions like?
R:  Auditions were amazing. They were fun and everyone was full of so much talent. I am very gracious for my opportunity to be on the team.

R:  I thought that it would be hard to get to know everyone very quickly and it would be hard to feel like a part of the group right away, but I already feel like I am a part of this beautiful world Improv team has created.

R:  More estrogen.

P:  What other activities do you do around campus, how do you think being on Joyous Chaos will be different than being part of these groups?
R:  I sing in GC Choir and Chamber singers. In both of these choirs I feel like I am trapped in a body of emotion because I can’t express my talents fully.

R:  I feel like I can bring some amazing womanly characters to this team and connect with my inner man as well. I can conquer it all, baby.

Photography by Jenny Cayo

Name: Immanuel “Manny” Gamble

Year: Junior
Major: Biology- Pre-PT
Strengths: biceps….I forgot them

P:  So, why did you audition for the team?
M:  I really enjoyed the past shows and ever since I saw the first show I knew that I wanted to be a part of the family.

P:  What were auditions like?
M:  When I walked into auditions there were so many people trying to try out and it made me nervous. I didn’t know quite a few people there and I didn’t know how good they would be. All I could do was be myself and trust my instinct.

M:  The team is exactly how I thought they would be, funny, crazy, and cracks jokes 24/7. The practices are very fun and the chemistry that we have built just in this short time together is better than I imagined.

M:  Well, I feel that I can bring a new flavor to the Improv team (mainly chocolate) and also bring a bunch of new ideas.

M:  I am also on the football team and we stress being one big family. I hope being on Joyous Chaos will feel like being a part of one big family as well, but the only difference is that I would finally have some sisters.

M:  Lets just say I plan on bringing ones with a lot of soul!!

Photography by Jenny Cayo

Name: Jeff Langley

Year: Senior
Major: English and COM-Theatre
Strengths: Adaptability, Learner, Empathy, Intellection, Developer

J:  Oh, gosh, uh…I mean, why do I brush my teeth? Why do I listen to the Lion King soundtrack every morning? Improv is invigorating. It has so much life in it, so much to teach us about life. And I figure it’s a great way to pick up dames.

P:  What were auditions like?
J:  Auditions were harrowing. It’s stressful enough to audition for a show with a set script that you can prepare for, when you can reasonably predict what your fellow actors will do. Improv… auditioning for improv is like interviewing for a job, and you don’t know what it is, but you know you have to be high energy and, doggone, you’d better make someone laugh.  Ha, but it was fun. Lots of fun.

J:  Uhh, well, I knew they were insane. And they are. Thank goodness. Practices are a blast, and a real learning experience. It’s all about just going for it, feeding off each other, accepting anything and working together to make sense of it. It is both humbling and boosting all at once.

J:  Ha! Well, I find it altogether too easy to just…I dunno- cut loose– onstage. So I think we can expect some outrageous physicality. And I love doing various character voices. That’s how I used to maintain sanity as a waiter—doing different accents for each table.

J:  Class. Plenty of class. I expect Joyous Chaos will be a great outlet for all the pent-up crazy bound to result from my 21.5 credit semester. I’m also involved with the Factory Theatre. I know, I’m a theatre major, so…surprising, right? In one way, it’s a similar line of work…but also entirely different. Joyous Chaos provides a welcome break from memorized lines and conventional blocking, but also an opportunity to try out character ideas that may occur to me in rehearsal.

J:  I am not afraid of a good poop joke. Nor do I shy away from stereotypes. Tasteful ones, of course. The inbred hick. The lisping, “sensitive” workout video instructor who sports a fab hair do and walks like he’s skating. And jokes related to campus life and GC personnel are oh so rich.

© 2017 Powered By GvilleDM

Scroll to top