Where Is Everyone?

Photo by www.degreedriven.com.
Photo by www.degreedriven.com.
Photo by www.degreedriven.com.

Written by Carolyn Fairbanks. Media by Jessica Sturgeon.

Getting to be the Campus News Editor this semester has given me the opportunity to go to events I might not otherwise have attend. To my disappointment, a majority of the time I get there and realize nobody else usually attends them either. So it gets me wondering, where is everyone?

I know we’re a small school, but that should be a even bigger reason to show up to events. Now I know everyone has different excuses and reasons, and some of you do show up, but I have covered a lot of campus events in these last few semesters and the same few people are usually present, and they frequently the ones that plan the events.

945304_10151594480586117_212690955_n
Photo from Agapefest Facebook.

One of the excuses I’ve heard from students is nobody goes to events, so they don’t want to go. The events are “lame” because nobody goes.  So it’s this cycle of not going. Another excuse of course is school work, but let’s be honest, as students, we are expected to find any excuse to push our assignments to the last minute. So I started thinking about the events that people do show. Agapefest, All-College Hike, Homecoming Dance, and Midnight Breakfasts all come to mind. So what do these have in common? Well not much really. Except they are events that have been a part of  for a long time now. So, my thought process without any scientific evidence is maybe new events are hard to establish at GC.

Photo from GCSA facebook.
Photo from GCSA facebook.

Greenville College bases everything on community. Being in this community for four years has made me realize how lucky we are to be surrounded by people that love us and want to us to grow in God. I think as a community, we should support each other in the events that are important to each other. That means showing up to art shows and sports games, or dance parties and colloquiums. We seem to only care when we are required to attend, but maybe if we all cared a little more about what was going on, we could find more ways to build a closer community.

Photo from GCSA facebook.
Photo from GCSA facebook.

Unfortunately I’m graduating, so my chance is gone. I’ve gone to the events I can, but have also been guilty in hibernating in dorm rooms and being antisocial. So, I have a challenge for returning students. Next fall, go to five events you wouldn’t otherwise attend. Take advantage of the opportunities to meet new people or hang out in a new environment. I know the semesters can get stressful and it’s easier to hang out with the people we know doing the things we always do, but why not step out on a limb? Why not go out and support an event that means a lot to other people in the community? The worst thing that happens is you don’t have fun, but no matter what, you still will have the knowledge that you helped support a fellow community member. And in the end, I feel like that’s what counts.