The Emmys in Review Reviewed by Momizat on . Written by Tyler Lamb. Media by Miles Priester. The Emmys happened about a week ago. It seems like it was a bit longer than that, but it was only a little over Written by Tyler Lamb. Media by Miles Priester. The Emmys happened about a week ago. It seems like it was a bit longer than that, but it was only a little over Rating: 0
You Are Here: Home » Entertainment » The Emmys in Review

The Emmys in Review

Written by Tyler Lamb. Media by Miles Priester.

The Emmys happened about a week ago. It seems like it was a bit longer than that, but it was only a little over a week. I’m sure many people had thoughts on what was going to happen, but for the most part I don’t think people could have predicted some of the outcomes. In fact, a lot didn’t and some people were very upset in the media world. A lot of people got a lot of awards, some deserved some not, but here are my thoughts on some of the big categories and what I thought of the outcome.

Outstanding Comedy Series: Modern Family

Media By www.pinkydiamonds.com

Media By www.pinkydiamonds.com

This one wasn’t much of a surprise. It has almost become a given considering this is the  fourth time in a row the show has won this award. And yes, the show just started their 5th season, so that means for every year the show has been on air, it has won the award for outstanding comedy series. Of course, this doesn’t mean that the other shows weren’t worthy of the award, but actually the opposite. 30 Rock, a long time personal favorite of my own, really went out on top with their series finale last spring. In the end, I wish 30 Rock would have won, but it is also nice that Modern Family can keep their streak for a while longer.

Outstanding Drama: Breaking Bad

Media By investorplace.com

Media By investorplace.com

Here is another no brainer. Breaking Bad, although only being at around 10 million viewers for its series finale, seems to be on everyones tongue as of recent date. This show has managed to capture its audience and, for the most part, keep them hooked. Another thing that I find very impressive and noble of them is that the creator started the show, told his story, and ended it when he wanted. Most shows today, typically American, go as long as there is money to be made. You see it in shows like How I Met Your Mother, which is now only ending because most of the actors are wanting to move on, Two and a Half Men, and Law and Order. Yeah, two shows on that list still continued to manage quality entertainment for all their seasons (I’ll let you guess which two) but when you’re coming on your 9th or so season of a show, maybe its time call it quits. Hopefully Breaking Bad can help start a trend that seems to already happen overseas.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Jim Parsons

Media By www.studiosystemnews.com

Media By www.studiosystemnews.com

Wait what? Really? Remember how I talked about surprises in the media world? This was almost certainly one of them. Not only was everyone else in this category more deserving of the award, but Jim Parsons isn’t really a comedy actor, is he? Is The Big Bang Theory a comedy show? From the clips I’ve seen without the laugh track, it really just seems like a show about someone with a disturbing psychological problem and how the people in his life are affected by it. It seems most critics were rooting for Louis C.K. Or Matt LeBlanc, and I myself was hoping for either Jason Bateman or Alec Baldwin. I wish I could say better luck next year, but unfortunately 30 Rock is over, and Baldwin will never be able to win another award for the role.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Media By http://en.wikipedia.org/

Media By en.wikipedia.org/

No surprise here. I’ve never seen the show before, but I still figured she would win. The fact that she is a fantastic actress, especially in comedic settings, only proves she deserves the role. If you don’t think so, watch any comedy she’s been in, especially Seinfeld. Again, it would have been nice to see Tina Fey get the nod, but when you lose to someone who truly deserves it and is great at their craft its not as big of a loss.

Outstanding Actor/Actress in a Drama Series: Jeff Daniels/Claire Danes

Media by en.wikipedia.org

Media by en.wikipedia.org

media by en.wikipedia.org

media by en.wikipedia.org

I don’t have much to say about these winners. I haven’t seen enough of the shows in the categories to say what my thoughts are. Of course, it would have been nice to see Bryan Cranston win best actor, considering he is amazing. Also Jon Hamm, someone who has not won an Emmy yet for his role in Mad Men, which is showing its final season. As for the others, Jeff Daniels is an amazing actor despite what he’s in, so I’m sure he deserved his award. I can’t touch on Claire Danes at all though, being as I’ve only seen her in Romeo + Juliet, and I would assume her acting has improved since then.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series: 30 Rock

Media By www.curatormagazine.com

Media By www.curatormagazine.com

This is the one that really matters to me: the writing award. The reason these are different than the “Outstanding Series” awards is because they only give an award to the writers of a specific episode. In this category, Modern Family, winner of outstanding series, wasn’t even nominated and 30 Rock was nominated twice. They won for their series finale episode, and I would have to say they deserved it. The amount of things they managed to tie together, ending the main characters stories and at the same time the entire series as beautifully as they did deserved something. I had watched this show from the beginning, and there hasn’t been a finale that has paid off so well for me in a long time than 30 Rock’s.

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Homeland

Media By ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com

Media By ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com

This was fairly surprising to me. I would have thought one of the two episodes Breaking Bad had in the nominations would have won. However, being a Showtime show, I’ve never seen it. I have heard many great things though, so like the outstanding actor/actress in a drama series, there isn’t much of a complaint from me. Breaking Bad won outstanding drama, so they still were able to come out on top in some way on their last season.

These were the big categories and what I thought about the outcomes. One not-so-talked-about category of best writing and best overall variety series both went to The Colbert Report. I firmly stand behind this decision, and it was awesome seeing the real Stephen Colbert give a thank you speech, one including a thank you to the guests who take the ridiculous things his character says in stride. Even though the overall show of the Emmys this year was a downer, centering around the death of many names in the industry, a lot of people went home happy. It’s always great to see someone’s hard work recognized, and that’s why we all continue to watch these award ceremonies. Any disappointments for you? Disagree with any of my thoughts? Sound off in the comments section and let us know who you think did or didn’t deserve what awards.