Always On…Never Focused Reviewed by Momizat on . [caption id="attachment_1275" align="aligncenter" width="960"] Media by: Charley Phillips.[/caption] Article and media by Charley Phillips. [divide] It seems li [caption id="attachment_1275" align="aligncenter" width="960"] Media by: Charley Phillips.[/caption] Article and media by Charley Phillips. [divide] It seems li Rating: 0
You Are Here: Home » Feature » Always On…Never Focused

Always On…Never Focused

titled

Media by: Charley Phillips.

Article and media by Charley Phillips.

It seems like everywhere we go, there is some type of technology. I, for one, have been obsessed with technology. I sometimes try to think about what career path I may have chosen if there was never a Digital Media major out there. Would I have gone into the field of math because I enjoy it or would I have gone with something in the health field because I have a background in that as well? Maybe or maybe not but I do love technology. I am so intrigued at how it has changed our world throughout the years. I remember being one of the first in my group of friends to get Myspace and Facebook. Even though I love technology and it is great, sometimes it can take a toll on our attention span.

In the last couple years of college, I saw myself getting less involved with my studies as I got more wrapped up in technology and distractions. I really saw this when I attended Lake Land College and lived with two other girls in an apartment and had the free will to do what I wanted. Turn on the TV while I studied? SURE! Browse on Facebook before writing a paper? You betcha! I continually stayed up later to get my work done last minute rather than first accomplishing my work and then rewarding myself with fun. I can see a trend happening throughout social media. People would rather complain about school, drama, and homework on social media rather than get work done. When will we finally learn to shut off the computer, TV, and anything else so that we can focus on the important things?

photo (4)

Screenshot by: Charley Phillips.

Now that it is crunch time for myself in my last year of college, I am beginning to learn that I need self discipline to turn away from the screen. I did it before college and I can do it on the home-stretch. When I am bored, I try to find something that will keep me distracted from the computer or even my phone. This is very hard because my phone is everywhere I go. When was the last time you did not have your phone near you? Mine is literally six inches away from my laptop right now. Does it need to be there? No, I have just become accustomed to having it near me at all times. Think about the routine that you have with your phone. My routine includes: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, messages, e-mails. I look at all of these maybe 20 times a day. Sometimes I think about what I could be doing with that time instead of doing the same-o same-o phone routine. Just imagine what would happen if we all applied the same time and energy we use to look at our phones into other aspects of our life.

So, my plan is to shut down early. I do NOT need to be looking at the Instagram pictures I have already seen 10 times today at 11 p.m. So, I will not look at my phone past 10:30 p.m. It has been said that looking at any screens while in bed can cause sleep disturbance. Secondly, I want to put down my phone for 30 minutes every three hours of the day. I am hoping that through this I will become accustomed to putting my phone or computer away whenever I do not need it. For one, it will help me focus on school and actually being present with the people around me. Yes, breaking news, there are still real people out there to talk to once you step outside of the internet.

Source: google.com/images

Source: www.henry4school.fr

I depend on my phone and computer way too much. So, I feel like it is good to take a step back from from time to time. What would happen if we all took a step back? Sometimes it is a battle to focus on what is right in front of you. However, you might be surprised at what you can do when you shut off some of the distractions around you. Give it a try and see what happens!