COR 401 – Hate it or Love it Reviewed by Momizat on .   Written by Jonathan Barker | Media by Thomas Hajny & Jonathan Barker [divide] The COR program has become one of Greenville College’s staples. Since i   Written by Jonathan Barker | Media by Thomas Hajny & Jonathan Barker [divide] The COR program has become one of Greenville College’s staples. Since i Rating: 0
You Are Here: Home » Opinion » COR 401 – Hate it or Love it

COR 401 – Hate it or Love it

Written by Jonathan Barker | Media by Thomas Hajny & Jonathan Barker

The COR program has become one of Greenville College’s staples. Since its introduction in 2004, COR 401 has particularly prompted students to form an opinion on the required course. Many students are able to see the course’s positive intentions as a lesson in responsibility within groups.  Some others view the class as a redundant course, teaching the same concepts and skills students have been developing their entire school careers.

Greenville College 2014 graduate, Ethan White, was able to see the course as an opportunity on a larger scale and shares his outlook on the class. “COR classes are the best part of Greenville, and hence, should be the most demanding. I don’t remember how to properly format a business invitation, but I remember how to swallow my pride for the sake of the group’s interest and submit to another’s leadership. Humility is the key to making it through COR, and I think probably the same key to life.”

cor401.2

Ethan White’s COR Group created a buzz with their presentation last year!
Source: Greenville College Facebook page

He labored: “As a Communication major, the COR process was a very familiar one for me. I had already worked in an incalculable number of group projects, so I had an idea of what was supposed to happen. Because of that, my biggest contribution to the group was just helping everyone operate as an effective group. It is ironic in a way, that what our project was about (the declining bee population) is not at all where the educational value or COR was. The semester-long grind of working with people that all had diverse majors, backgrounds, and heritage, operating with diverse belief systems was the education.”

Current GC senior Daniel Frandsen also gave his affirmation on the course: “The process of COR 401 helped me in many ways as a student. One way was encouraging me to become better at communicating within group work. Aside from communication, it helps you learn a bigger responsibly because all the work involved is on your own. You don’t meet in your class and your advisor isn’t heavily involved. It’s not as bad as everyone says as long as you complete your work on time and your group communicates without being indecisive. There wasn’t anything I particularly disliked.”

Daniel Frandson alongside his COR group -via Kayce Oglesby Source: facebook.com

Daniel Frandson alongside his COR group -via Kayce Oglesby
Source: facebook.com

Although he had one issue with way COR 401 operates: “The one thing I would change about it is to make it a 3-credit class instead of only a 2-credit course. The amount of work I did for COR 401, even in comparison to my more difficult 3-credit courses, I think it should definitely count for 3-credits. At one point, we met at least 15 hours two weeks in a row, so we definitely put in the work to earn it. “

One COR 401 student (who would prefer to remain anonymous) had a different view. “It really wasn’t all that helpful. I already knew how to work with a group. I already knew how to give a presentation. If Greenville College really wanted me to know how to become a functioning member of society from taking a class that is required, they should teach us how to pay bills, how to properly fill out a resume, how to give a better interview, tips for how to save rather than spend money; stuff we will actually use in life and that will legitimately better us. I feel like all this class was good for, was making me work my tail off and stress me out to no end just to give me a C- in the end. I’d much rather just do a bunch of community service hours. Honestly, the best part about it was the fact that I didn’t have to worry about chapel credits for once.” Shots fired.

The common saying “you get out what you put it” may apply best to COR 401. As college students, I believe we should never shy away from giving feedback on a course. In fact, feedback is a building block for improvement. However, we should also make the best out of the time we spend working to not only become better members of society, but complete human being as well.

What do you think? Have you taken COR 401? Let us know how you felt about your experience! If you have yet to take this course, are you looking forward to it? Let us know in the comment section below!

Comments (1)