The Last Serve

Greenville Women's Volleyball Senior posing for a picture with their coach. Image by Bilinski Bros.

Written and Media by Jen Brakenhoff [divide]

The Greenville Women’s Volleyball team has five outstanding seniors that they will be losing after this 2015 season. Here is just a tad bit about the seniors and their response to their final season here at Greenville College.

Marissa Lovell's official Greenville College image. Image by Greenville College.
Marissa Lovell’s official Greenville College image. Image by Greenville College.

Marissa Lovell

Position? OH/OPP

Major/Minor? Business Management.

Dream Job?  Managing a Sephora.

Favorite Volleyball Memory? I can’t pick just one! Playing sardines with the team at night in HJ Long my freshman year and the yearly “I’m in” ceremony that officially unites us all as sisters.

Favorite quote? “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” -Proverbs 31:25

What will you miss most? Jamming out to throwback music on the way to away games and getting to see the team every day.

Funny fact about yourself? Some of the funniest things you will ever hear me say are when I’m talking in my sleep.

Favorite part about being a Greenville College Volleyball player? Representing a program that I stand behind fully. I have been so proud to wear this jersey because of what this program encompasses. Our philosophy of serving others and putting yourself last is truly what sets us apart from others and you can really feel how much love we all have for each other. My favorite part of being a Greenville College Volleyball player is the fact that we will always remain a family and we will always have each other no matter where life takes us.

Mary Beth Merten

Mary Beth Mertin's official Greenville Women's Volleyball. Image by Greenville College.
Mary Beth Mertin’s official Greenville Women’s Volleyball. Image by Greenville College.

Major? Biology.

Position? Since being at GC, I’ve played setter, defensive specialist, outside hitter and opposite.

Dream job? Physical Therapist.

Favorite volleyball memory? Our missions trip to the DR.

Favorite quote?  “Live in such a way that those who know you, but don’t know God, will come to know God, because they know you.”

What will you miss most?  I will miss all my sisters, the coaching staff, and being able to be a part of such a loving and close-knit family.

Funny fact about yourself? They call me Merbalicious & I can make a 3-leaf clover with my tongue.

Favorite part of being a Greenville volleyball player? Creating lasting friendships and being a part of an everlasting sisterhood of past, present, and future teammates.

Marissa Erwin's Official Greenville Women's Volleyball image. Image by Greenville College.
Marissa Erwin’s Official Greenville Women’s Volleyball image. Image by Greenville College.

Marissa Erwin

Major/Minor? Biology.

Position? Middle blocker, Captain

Dream Job? I’m pursuing a career in zoos working with large predators, and one day I’d love to go to Africa and do a study on predator behavior.

Favorite volleyball memory? When we went to the Dominican Republic as a team. We got to play volleyball and mission to children and people on the island. We got to eat fresh Caribbean pineapple and platanos, swim in the Caribbean ocean, meet DR national volleyball players, and meet children we had been pen palling.

Favorite quote? Hakuna Matata.

What will you miss most? Honestly just being around this family. This team has shaped me into who I am, and I have created relationships that will last a lifetime. I’ve gained dozens of sisters, and two father figures. With being hurt for the entirety of my senior season, I’ve felt more love and support than I have ever before. Greenville volleyball is truly a special place and will forever be my second home.

Funny fact about yourself? I once took out a ref on the ref stand during a game and have been peed on by a tiger during an internship at a tiger sanctuary.

Favorite part of being a Greenville College volleyball player? Being part of something much bigger than myself. The gear is pretty sweet too.

Jamie Schollenbruch

Jamie  Schollennbruch Official Greenville Women's Volleyball image. Image by Greenville College.
Jamie Schollennbruch Official Greenville Women’s Volleyball image. Image by Greenville College.

Major/minor? Biology with a Psychology minor.

Position? Libero,

Dream job? Biology team and coach.

Favorite volleyball memory? Always finding random things to do for Iowa road trips like take a tour of a random house/barn or walk through Iowa’s tailgates to look in people’s nice RVs.

Favorite quote? “We do it because we love each other.”

What will you miss most? I’ll miss all my teammates and coaches, of course, but I think I’ll miss preseason the most because of all the relationships formed and being around volleyball 24/7.

Funny fact about yourself? I broke 2 of Coach Ackerman’s iPads over the past two seasons.

Favorite part about being a Greenville College Volleyball player? Being able to be in a competitive atmosphere, but still being able to love each other like sisters at the end of each day, plus the love and support you get from the coaching staff.

Hannah Baker's Official Greenville Women's Volleyball image. Image by Greenville College.
Hannah Baker’s Official Greenville Women’s Volleyball image. Image by Greenville College.

Hannah Baker

Major/minor? Biology

Position?  Outside hitter/ Defensive Specialist

Dream job? Coaching and being a personal trainer.

Favorite volleyball memory? Our annual “I’m in” ceremony.

Favorite quote? “To live is Christ, to die is gain” Philippians 1:21.

What will you miss most? Being in the locker room with all the girls getting hyped for a game,

Funny fact about yourself? everyone on the team calls me “Hannahbaker”( in one word) or “Hannah Bake”

Favorite part of being a Greenville College Volleyball player? Being able to walk into the gym every day for practice and seeing the team and coaches and knowing that I can call them family.

As you can see these senior ladies have left a mark here at Greenville College and will be greatly missed. They have built a family type atmosphere along with friendships between teammates will last a lifetime. The experience that Greenville College has given these girls shows as Coach Ackerman states,“This class has rejuvenated our program and provided exactly what we needed this year.  They are all 100% committed to who we are and they are true servant leaders. They will be greatly missed.” The Greenville Women’s Volleyball team has had a great season so let’s continue to support these ladies throughout this rock solid season they have been having!

Greenville Women’s Volleyball Senior posing for a picture with their coach. Image by Bilinski Bros.