Why It’s Okay to Change Your Major

Written by Juliana Bringer. Media by Mary Todd Christian

[divide]

Most of us come to college with a prospective major in mind. Maybe you even came with an ideal career path in mind. However, there are probably some of you who realize the major you chose doesn’t work for you anymore. Maybe you found a different major that is a perfect fit and you just never realized it before. Some are afraid to change their majors because they’ve already committed to it and now they’re later in their college career. I have some personal experience with this. When I first came to Greenville College, I wanted to major in history with a minor in psychology. However, after taking General Psychology my first semester, I realized psychology just wasn’t right for me. I still love it and it fascinates me still, but it’s not the right fit. So, I stuck with my history major until my sophomore year when I added an English minor, which later changed to an English major. People change and that is okay and so is changing your major. If you’re thinking about changing your major, here are some things to keep in mind.

You Aren’t Alone
About 80% of college students change their major at least once. Students can go through changing their majors about three times on average during their college career. It’s normal to do so. Most of the people I know have changed their majors or have added to it at least once.

large_claireisconfused
source: bowdoinorient.com

More Than One Interest
There are many options of majors to choose from and each one has many different emphasises. Because of the growing variety, students are having a hard time choosing their majors. People have many different interests, but you need to narrow down your top interests. I enjoy many aspects of the different majors, but I can’t do all of them. Instead, I picked the two majors that have the most influence in my life.

People Change
People (including you) can change and throughout a four-year college experience, it is impossible to stay the same. We learn and we grow and in the process, our perceptions about our futures change. Maybe a life- altering event changes what you originally thought was your purpose in life. I know I am not the same person I was my freshman year. I’ve developed into who I am now as a senior through experiences and events that have happened while attending GC. I’ve been through many ups and downs in my health these past four years and while that may not directly relate to my major, it definitely can affect a person.

college-decisions
source: cengagebrain.com

It Doesn’t Mean You’ll Be Here Longer or Cost More
You may think if you change your major you will waste money and be in college longer. However, this is not always the case. In some cases, yes, it does mean you will have to continue your education a little longer and spend a little more money to achieve the degree you desire. It all depends on how far along you are in your college career. If you change your major late in your junior year or senior year, then yes, it will be a longer and more expensive college experience. Though, most of time, as long as you change your major before or during your sophomore year or early junior year, you won’t have to stay much longer or spend more money.  Remember, it is never too late to pursue what you are passionate about.

Changing your major can be beneficial. So, don’t be afraid to take a risk. Talk to your advisor and the head of the department you are looking into so you gain a better understanding of what might be best for you. Keep in mind that you aren’t alone and it won’t be detrimental to your life. Remember, this is your life and you need to do what is best for you.