The Scoop on Soup
It’s winter time here in Southern Illinois, and for those of us who have lived here for multiple years, we know winter has no limits. But when the cold weather finally strikes, the go-to meal to warm the tummy is soup! The most wonderful thing about the delightful meal is the health benefits that come along with it.
Soup has been a go-to meal for centuries. With many essential food groups involved, it is of great nutritional value for almost any household. Lean meats, potatoes, and beans are just a few of the valued ingredients. These are great sources of protein, vitamins and fiber. Some of the most common soups around the United States include vegetable soup, chicken noodle soup, cheddar broccoli soup and many others. There are also various cream soups, which contain calcium as well.
While there are all kinds of well-known soups in the United States, Listverse listed a few of the most bizarre soups. So, if you’re bored of the mundane chicken and noodle, try one of these on for size.
- Menudo is a Mexican style soup that takes around eight hours to cook. Onions, cilantro, and oregano are a few ingredients added, as well as tripe. Tripe is a fancy word for cow stomach. At least each cow has four stomachs, so we’ll never run out!
- Kiburu Soup is made of sweet bananas, beans and dirt! That’s it! A tribe called the Chagga eats Kiburu.
- Supu Soup is probably the most interesting breakfast soup. It’s a Tanzanian soup made of goat lungs, heart, liver, head, as well as cow stomach, intestines and tongue. Yum!
- Chicken testicle soup is pretty self-explanatory. It is popular, believe it or not, and is similar to chicken noodle soup.
- Tiet Cahn is a soup from Vietnam, in which raw blood is cooked with gizzards, peanuts and herbs. The blood is served raw and is said to be a health hazard, yet people still consume it. There’s no need to worry. It is usually the blood of a duck.
The most interesting, and fun thing about soup, is there are no limits to what you can make into a soup. In today’s society, we are exposed to sites like Pinterest where the soup possibilities are endless. Some of your favorite foods, tacos, cheeseburgers, even pizza, can be made into a soup!