Bible Journaling: The What, Why, and How

Taken by Taylor Harpster.

Written by Megan Burns. Media by Taylor Harpster.

An example of Bible journaling. Source: Megan Burns

Let’s start by crushing a common mindset that follows Bible journaling. It is the thought that you have to be artistically talented in order to Bible journal. This is not a truthful argument. There are guides and samples to help you begin. Now, I must take a step back to explain what Bible journaling is. Bible journaling is a form of studying the Bible, where an individual picks a verse or group of verses and uses pictures and calligraphy to illustrate them on a page. Some people use it as a way to meditate and dwell on the verses, and others use it as a way of memorization.

Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”

The really cool thing about Bible journaling is that there are so many resources. There are books and blogs about how to begin and examples of what to do. The first step is to get the right supplies. They make specific Bibles designed for this, with blank panels for writing or drawing. Another important thing is the pens or pencils that are used. Colored pencils can always be used, but there are also a lot of options of pens and markers that will not bleed through.

Another Bible journaling example. Source: Diane Scott

This is not something anyone should take lightly. When you sit down to study God’s word, you should always open it with prayer. Jen Hatmaker gives a great example of an opening prayer; “Holy Spirit teach me what is true about these verses. What do you want me to understand? Direct my thoughts with every word I read. Protect and lead my mind. Amen.”

There are two ways to figure out how to start journaling. One way is to follow a Bible study, and pick out a key verse to journal about. This is a great way to be learning while dwelling on His Word. Another way is to choose a verse that is personal to you and one that you might want to memorize. Psalm 119:11 says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” This is a great way to recall scripture in times of need. Both are important for learning God’s Word, so choose what works best for you, or use a combination.

Always sketch your ideas out first, then do it! Pick out key words to highlight, or different aspects that really draw your attention. Focus on these concepts while choosing what to illustrate.

Bible journaling is for anyone, whether artistic or not. It is a great way to dive deeper into the Lord’s Word. Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Greenville University Senior, Carrie Baker shared, “I love Bible journaling. It has been a great way for me to de-stress as well as really connect with the Word in a completely different way. I’m able to connect things differently and really sit with the Scripture in a way that resonates with me. I love being able to go back and look at my journals!” As Christians, the Bible should be our guide. Bible journaling is just one of many ways to read and interpret such a life-altering roadmap.

Interested in learning more? Check out this neat video on Bible journaling below!