Finding Christ in Crisis

0
191
Original artwork by Jonathan Bremer
Original artwork by Jonathan Bremer

“God is good, all the time… And all the time, God is good!”

We hear this in chapel, church, in bible studies, and sometimes even among our Christian friends. It is a memorable saying that most of us probably know from participating in worship services throughout our time here at Greenville University. Many times, if we don’t think about the weight of these words and what they mean, we find them carelessly slipping off the tip of our tongue. But other times, when we really dwell upon these words, we can hardly utter them. These words are some of the simplest, yet powerful words we can speak. But what do they mean? More importantly, do we believe them?

Purpose
Original artwork by Jonathan Bremer

Lately, I have struggled with these words. Not because I don’t believe them to be true, it is because I have been living with anxiety and depression for some time now. As a result, I have found it difficult at times to see God’s goodness in tough circumstances. Nevertheless, I have started seeing for myself, just how good God really is amid spiritual wildernesses and life’s storms. I have relied on the word of God many times and prayed specific passages in hopes of being renewed or refreshed. While they have been answered many times, they often have not been in the ways that I expected or asked for. A passage I have reflected upon many times in difficult circumstances is found in Romans 8:26-28.

This passage says,

“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Here, Paul is writing to the Roman church about the new life gifted through the spirit. In this pericope he is specifically talking to them about the weight of present sufferings to the future glory and grace waiting at the end of the tunnel. He assures them in verse 26 that we will not be abandoned in our weakness – and that He will intercede on our behalf and provide for us what we need. We have been designed with a purpose and God works with and through us, for our good and His glory.

This passage has been such a powerful reminder for me to look for the small beautiful things that God is doing in my life. Oftentimes, I get blinded by what I think I need and don’t receive. But the entire time, God has seen my needs and met them- even when I don’t always see them right away. It takes time to remove the blinders and look for God’s blessings in the small and mundane parts of life. But I have never felt more filled and loved by God than in those moments.

If we are to believe that “God is good all the time, and all the time God is good,” then that includes the bad times. By uttering these words, we are declaring his goodness that transcends all circumstances. We are saying that He is good, even when our lives are full of storms. Do you believe that? Think upon these things and look for His goodness in your life. At times, it may seem like everything is collapsing around you. But, God is there. He is working in your life in those moments – and He is working for your good.

Even When it Hurts by Hillsong United
Source: youtube.com