Latinos Weekend Vibes

Media by Melissa Murillo.

If you are the type of person that always listens to the same type of music and you are wondering what some of the Spanish-speaking students at GU listen to or maybe you just want a change for a little bit, I will introduce you to Juan Carlos Ozuna Rosado aka Ozuna. He is a Puerto Rican singer born in the Dominican Republic. This year, Ozuna became the artist with the most Youtube videos with one billion views and is leading the list of finalists for the 2019 Billboard Latin Music Awards with 23 nods in 15 categories — a record number in the history of the awards. If these stats are not enough for you, maybe you should check into his last two albums, which featured collaborations with Cardi B, Romeo Santos, Reik, Wisin, J Balvin, Selena Gomez, and other Spanish-speaking singers.

Anonymous: “When I listen to ‘Baila, Baila, Baila’ on the weekend, the only thing that comes to my mind is having a good time with my friends, the beach, coconuts, and palm trees. Depending on what song I am listening to, my body reacts to it automatically.”

Ozuna Source: Billboard

Ozuna is one of the few artists in his genre that tries to have clean songs out of respect to his wife and daughter. In 2016, Ozuna reached the top 30 on the Hot Latin Songs charts with the song “La Ocasion,” and since then, he has developed an outstanding profile. Ozuna’s passion for writing started when he was 12 years old. What really helps Ozuna is that he spent time in New York City. In 2014 for the first time, he signed a recording contract with Golden Family Records and launched his career by publishing songs on YouTube.

Loida Reyes: “The song “Se Preparo” by Ozuna makes me feel empowered, is like my pre-gaming song for my make-up”

If you are worried that you won’t understand what the artist Ozuna is singing, the rhythm of all of his song is going to be enough for you to listen to it, since as soon as you play one of his song your head and body is going to sync with the song right away, even if you consider yourself out of rhythm you will find it with Ozuna. But in case his rhythms is not enough you should definitely watch his music videos with or without subtitles since his stories are very creative as well as his cinematography. In case you are the type of person that also appreciated a good story and good cinematography check “Vaina Loca”, “Comentale,” and Baila, Baila, Baila from this year,

Ozuna CD Cover Source: FYE

For those who are taking any classes like Span 401 or advanced Spanish classes this semester, this definitely is going to help you if you really want to start talking. It will also improve your Spanish. On the other hand, if you are not taking any Spanish classes, playing Ozuna while you are having a break while studying at the library, dorm, Snyder, Jo’s Java, the upper union, or any place where you prefer to study could help relax your mind and give you the energy necessary to get back to work again.

“Michael GonzaleZ: I like “El Farsante” by Ozuna. The music in the song itself is great but the song as a whole is way better. I guess you can say this song gets me in my feelings and that’s good to be in them once in a while. Looking back to where life has taken you and where you are now.”

Media by Melissa Murillo