Agent 004: De’Shon Wellington

As the NCAA Divison III Football playoffs are in full swing for some teams,  other team’s seasons have come to an end. Unfortunately, Greenville is one of those teams. In this article, the main focus will be on rising junior and outside linebacker De’Shon Wellington.

While playing for the Panthers, Wellington has made an impact on and off the field, even though his teammates sometimes give him a hard time. Wellington has made his presence known this year, especially on the field. In 10 games during his sophomore year campaign, Wellington posted a total of 44 tackles (21 Solo, 22 Ast), three pass breakups, and 1.5 tackle for a loss of seven yards. 

“Show me my opponent.” 
Source: Dana Fitch

Wellington was raised by his strong mother, Nicole Poole. Growing up without a dad, Wellington quickly learned the importance of responsibility and was able to become a positive role model for his younger sibling, Brianna Wellington while living in Port St. Lucie, Florida. Fast forward to his high school athletic career at Okeechobee High School in Okeechobee, FL, Wellington was involved in basketball, football, and track. Then he decided that football was the sport he wanted to achieve his full potential and play at the next level. During his career playing at Okeechobee, Wellington was named a three-year varsity starter at safety. After graduating from high school, Wellington decision to attend Greenville was pretty easy. “I choose GU because I felt as if the team was much like the team I played with in high school so it felt like I was already at home. Coach Bell was another reason I came to GU because throughout the recruiting process he really made me feel wanted, unlike others schools never really seem interested in me,” he states.  Since then Wellington has not looked back and has created a lot of special relationships between the coaches and players.

Wellington on the first day of school.
Source: Justin Willis

Off the field, Wellington is currently learning to play the piano beside basic songs like, “Hot Cross Buns,” or “Mary had a Little Lame.” Wellington is trying to master Drake’s hit single from 2011 “Marvin’s Room.” So far he only knows how to play the intro. Wellington is also a criminal justice major and plans to use it to become a police officer. Later on, he wants to become a detective back in his hometown to make his community better and make an impact on the youth.

Even though Wellington has a while before he graduates from Greenville, he wants his legacy to be, “The impact I had on and off the field. I want my teammates to remember me for my failures and success in the football program. I want to be remembered as the best student-athlete that walked on GU campus through my faith.”

“There’s a new sheriff in town!”
Source: Dana Fitch

Wellington’s journey isn’t over yet. Coming in as an upperclassman next season, he will be expecting to play an important role as a leader due to the seniors that graduated.