Food Fundamentals: Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Written by Amanda Shepherd
My fiancé loves anything sweet.  Most of all he loves cake, red velvet cake to be exact.  Unfortunately for him, I’m not a huge fan of cake.  So a few nights ago when he told me that he was craving some red velvet, I decided to make an adaptation to his beloved cake.  I wanted to try making red velvet cookies.  Don’t worry, these are not the typical red velvet cake mix cookies either.  I did some quick googling and found a recipe that I made a few changes to and pretty soon we were BOTH enjoying the sweetness of red velvet!

Photo taken by Amanda Shepherd

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
Red food coloring
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

Photos taken by Amanda Shepherd

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream the butter and both sugars with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. ** The batter gets really THICK, so if you don’t have an electric mixer I wouldn’t recommend making these.
3. Add the food coloring until you reach the desired color. ** You might have to add more after you add the cocoa powder.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and add the egg and vanilla, mixing well until combined.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder, mixing until thoroughly combined.
6. Using a spatula, gently fold in the white chocolate chips until incorporated.
7. Using a spoon, drop the dough into mounds about two inches apart from one another.  Lightly flatten each cookie dough mound with your fingers or the back of the spoon.
8. Bake about 8-10 minutes.  **I prefer my cookies to be slightly gooey, so I baked mine no longer than 8 minutes. Enjoy!

Photos taken by Amanda Shepherd

Click here to listen to an interview with Amanda.