Food Fundamentals: Classic Cobbler

Written by Haley Fahrner

[one_half] Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
¾ cup milk
2 pints chopped fruit/berries (I used diced apples)
1 tsp cinnamon
splash of vanilla (optional)
1 stick butter [/one_half]

Necessary Materials
12 in. round baking pan
2 medium-sized mixing bowls
oven
fork
spoon
appetite

Picture taken by Kat Kelley

This is a recipe that my mom uses every time she makes a cobbler. She and I use it so often that we know the recipe by heart. It is simple and can be used for whatever fruit is in season. You do not have to be a good cook or a good baker whatsoever to make this cobbler.

Step 1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. The first ingredient you’ll use is melted butter, so to save time and dishes, I put the stick of butter in the pan and let it melt in the oven as it preheats.

Step 2) Combine fruit with 1 cup sugar. Add teaspoon of cinnamon. Gently stir until all of the fruit is coated in sugar and cinnamon. Set this aside (the sugar will dissolve and it will be sweet and delicious). I used diced apples because they are readily available right now, but I’ve made this same recipe with blackberries, blueberries, and peaches, and it always works.

Step 3) Mix 1 cup flour with 3 teaspoons of baking powder. Add ¾ cup milk and stir until all of the moisture is absorbed.

Step 4) Remove pan from oven and pour batter over melted butter. This is important: as much as you want to, and as logical as it seems, do not stir the batter in with the butter. Let the batter run in the pan and smooth out.

Step 5) Spoon fruit/sugar mix over batter, and evenly distribute. Again, do not stir the fruit into the batter, or the batter into the butter.

Step 6) Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

I baked this in a Burritt kitchen, and the smell of cinnamon and butter drifted over the entire third floor. Prepare to share. Happy baking!

All pictures taken by Kat Kelley | All media by Jenny Cayo