Six Ways to Reconnect with God During the Busy Semester

Written and Media by Beth Richardson.

My planner certainly isn’t this neat at this point in the year. Source: saray_plans Instagram

It’s one in the morning and you have your planner—multi-colored stickies and all—opened across the table in front of you. There are so many things to get done and hardly any time to do it. Procrastination is no longer an option as deadlines loom. Midterms may be over, but there is still a lot ahead before we reach the end of the semester. It feels like there is not enough time to finish assignments, eat, sleep, and actually have human interaction, so it becomes an easy habit to push God aside. If we do not have time for any of the others things on our plates, how could we possibly make time for God?

Personally, in the moments of extreme stress, I find taking time for God to be incredibly therapeutic. So, in the stress and hectic chaos of the semester, how do we find and take time for God?

1. Pray at odd times

In the shower. On a drive to the grocery store. On your walk to class. There are times you cannot really do other things. You can’t scroll through Facebook or Instagram in the shower or while you are driving. You can while you are walking, but do you really want to risk tripping on something or running into someone? Why not take those brief moments to talk to God? I have found praying while driving to be one of my favorite things to do. It makes the drive go faster sometimes, too.

Take time for tea in your favorite mug. Source: Beth Richardson

2. Care for yourself by drinking tea or coffee while you work on homework

God wants you to take care of yourself. The body that He gave you is precious and can only do His will when it is healthy. 3 John 1:2 says, “Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.” Our souls should be healthy, but our bodies also need to follow suit. Drinking tea or coffee while you work on an assignment is an easy way of acknowledging the significance of your assignment, but also that your body needs caring for too.

3. Meet with a friend regularly

Schedule an hour a week where you spend time connecting with a friend. This is a great time to have social interaction and maybe even have a prayer time together.

4. Go for a walk

Go experience God’s creation. It’s beautiful out there. If you pay attention to what’s around you outside, you might begin to notice things you haven’t before. Taking a walk is a great option for a study break because it changes your environment and gets fresh air into your lungs.

5. Take advantage of class reflection time

Many of my professors have taken time during class to pause and spend time reflecting on what God may be trying to speak into our lives. It is a wonderful moment to just sit, be still, and listen, without having to worry about everything you have to get done. Take advantage of it!

6. Make yourself go to chapel.

A Greenville campus reminder. Source: Beth Richardson

Ok, this is coming from a second semester senior who is definitely struggling to get her chapel credits. I cannot use my busy life as an excuse. There are genuinely some days that staying in my warm house sounds so much better. When I convince myself to get out of bed and go to chapel, I don’t regret it. God always has something to say, whether it is through a specific song that the band chooses that day or what the speaker says, I leave feeling refreshed and glad I went.

In all the stress of the semester, I cling to a song that has always given me peace in times of worry. It is a beautiful hymn written during a time of the author’s own deep personal tragedy. I hope it brings you peace as well and encourages you to finish out the semester strong.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

2 COMMENTS

1. In spite of busy schedules, I find time to connect with God through prayers and by saying thank you for all the blessings and trials that come my way. I also go on a spiritual retreat once a year to reconnect with God.