Friendsgiving Celebration!

Media by Desiree Lesicko.

Oh my gourd! It is the time of the year where it is acceptable to eat tons of food! It may seem like the focus of this article will be Thanksgiving, but that is not the case. It is all about Friendsgiving! The time has come for friends to come together and celebrate everything they are thankful for. Since this year has been a stressful one for college students, it is important to be grateful and count each blessing, and celebrating Friendsgiving is the perfect way to do that.

Media by Homey Oh My.

Just like Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving is essential to celebrate with the important people in our lives. Leah Brown, a sophomore at Greenville University, is very close to her friends, so she is an avid fan of Friendsgiving. “Thanksgiving is usually dedicated to family, so I think it’s important to set time aside for Friendsgiving to celebrate your appreciation for your friends, especially when your friends are like family, which a lot of mine are. It’s good to remind each other that we are thankful for the role they play in our lives,” stated Brown.

Not only is Friendsgiving important for everyone to acknowledge, but it is also essential that college students celebrate it. Since this semester is different for a lot of individuals, it is good to have friends there to help get through the rough times. Also, some students do not get to travel home for the holidays, so celebrating this holiday with friends can make that situation easier. Brown explained, “The best friendships I’ve ever had have been made in college. I have so much love for all the people I’ve developed a relationship with at GU, and they are all people that have added value to my life, and I’m sure it’s the same for other college students. Friendsgiving is especially important for college students for this reason. Just another way to tell your friends you’re thankful for them.”

Media by Donna John.

At Greenville, students are lucky enough to be on campus. Compared to other colleges, Greenville is very blessed they get to continue school face-to-face. This experience is something to be very grateful for, and Brown is just that. “I’m thankful that I get to be on campus and around people! I’m thankful for my friends and my teammates and how much fun I have with them. I have been extremely blessed with where I’m at in life right now and everything going on and new opportunities and I’m super grateful for that,” Brown stated.

Friendsgiving cannot end without the tasty food, so Brown has given her top five shareable dishes. She said, “Number 1 is pumpkin pie, which is super cliché, but I just really like pumpkin, and eating pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving is just a whole vibe. Number 2 is sweet potato casserole. Sweet potatoes are way better than regular potatoes, but regular potatoes are still great. Number 3 is the homemade mac and cheese my grandma makes. I don’t know what she does, but it’s great. Number 4 is homemade noodles. Delish. Number 5 is mashed potatoes. You can’t go wrong with them, and there are so many different ways to make them. You’ll never get bored.” That sounds a-maize-ing!

Overall, Friendsgiving is the time to really show that you are grateful for your friends. As college students, we are blessed to gain these friendships at this point in life, so use this celebration to honor the people that you are thankful for. But remember, it is Thanksgiving, and leftovers are for quitters!