Angler Profile: Connor Brooks

Connor Brooks during his senior year of high school. Media by Chris Brooks

Connor Brooks is a freshman from Sparta, Illinois. Brooks is a Sports Management major and is the brother of fellow GU fisherman, Chris Brooks.

Q: When did you start fishing?

A: Ever since I can remember. I was always by the water every chance I could get.

Q: When and how did you get into competitive bass fishing?

Brooks with his new jersey.
Media by Chris Brooks.

A: It was my freshman or sophomore year of high school. They had a fishing team and that seemed pretty fun.

Q: What made you come to Greenville University to fish in college?

A: It was just great opportunity to keep doing what I love.

Q:What are some of your best finishes while tournament fishing?

A: I’ve acquired a few 3rd place finishes at Kinkaid Lake in Southern Illinois. I’m hoping to get a win this season.

Q: You have a few major tournaments coming up at Kentucky Lake in March and Bull Shoals in April. What do you do to prepare for these tournaments?

A:  For these tournaments, I try and wait until a week before the tournaments and see if the weather conditions are around the same as the year before. If they are, I go and look at fishing reports to see how people were catching them. If it’s not the same I look at the maps and try to see where fish should be setting up for the time of year and weather conditions.

Q: As a collegiate angler, what is the major goal that you are seeking to set and how do you plan to achieve that goal?

A: I don’t think I have a major goal as of now. I am just going with the flow right now and see where God leads me. But if I had to pick one, it would be to qualify for one of the national championships this year.

Q: Your older brother is also a angler for Greenville. What is it like being on the same campus?

A: I usually don’t think about it too much, but I know he’ll help me if I need some assistance.  

Q: Who are your biggest influences in fishing and why are they so?

Brooks enjoying his time off the water.
Media by Chris Brooks.

A: I don’t think I have influences. I just think about what I can do to better myself and do better than the rest of the competition.

Q: What is your favorite thing to do outside of fishing and school?

A: Play video games mostly, but I also like to play basketball as well.

Q: What is your favorite way to fish for bass?

A: Which ever way puts fish at the end of my line. The most fun would probably using topwater. The reason for topwater is because the excitement when you see a fish blow up on your lure.

Q: How do you want your season to go this year and what do you expect out of your team this year?

A: Well, our team has many great qualities and I do believe with all the talent this team has, you’ll see us higher in the rankings.

Media by Chris Brooks.